Welcome to the Senedd’s new website. If you have any difficulty using this site please get in touch.
Exchanging Ideas Seminar Series
Published 15/12/2020   |   Last Updated 23/12/2020   |   Reading Time minutes
Senedd Research worked with the Learned Society of Wales to pilot a series of Exchanging Ideas seminars for Members throughout 2017.
The purpose of the seminars was for Members to exchange and discuss new ideas with leading academic experts and interested stakeholders.
The theme for the first three seminars was about how ambitious Welsh policy should be.
The first seminar on 7 March 2017 looked at economic strategy, finance and infrastructure. The speakers were:
- Professor Gerry Holtham (Cardiff Metropolitan University);
- Professor Julie Froud (Manchester University); and
- Dr Edward Jones (Bangor University).
The second seminar on 27 June 2017 considered the key features of civil society in Wales and the role it plays. The speakers were:
- Professor Paul Chaney (WISERD);
- Dr Victoria Winckler (Director of Bevan Foundation);
- Tim Hughes (Director of Involve); and
- and Anna Nicholl (WCVA).
The third seminar on 13 July 2017 discussed future energy policy. You can see the video of the full event below, with further information about the discussions in this blog post. The speakers were:
- Dr Nina Skorupska (Renewable Energy Association);
- Professor Max Munday (Cardiff University);
- Professor Hywel Thomas (Cardiff University); and
- Professor Andrew Barron (Swansea University).
The fourth seminar on 5 December 2017 looked at challenges and opportunities arising from the delivery of healthcare services in rural Wales. You can see the video of the full event below and get more information in this blog post. The speakers were:
- John Wynn-Jones, GP (World Organisation of Rural Doctors and Chair for Rural Practice);
- Dr Rachel Rahman (Centre for Excellence in rural Health Research, Aberystwyth University);
- Anna L Prytherch (Rural Health and Care Wales Project Manager); and
- Joy Garfitt (Assistant Director for Mental Health Service, Powys Health Board)
Senedd Research is thinking about launching a new series of Exchanging Ideas Seminars sometime in 2021 after the Senedd election, but a final decision on this hasn’t been made yet.